Whether you’re new to homeschooling or more experienced with teaching your children at home, it’s likely you’ll have days when you need a little extra encouragement. Fortunately, there are a number veteran homeschoolers who have put that encouragement down in writing so you can refer to it whenever you need to.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed or uncertain, pick up one of the following books for some helpful reminders and good ideas:
- A Survivor’s Guide to Home Schooling by Luanne Shackelford and Susan White – Written by two teaching mom, this book answers questions such as “What do I do with my preschoolers while I teach?” “What if my child isn’t getting it?” “What role do husbands play?” “What about time for Mom?” and “How do I prevent burnout?”
- Beyond Survival – A Guide to Abundant-Life Homeschooling by Diana Waring – Providing you with a working plan for successful homeschooling, this book offers practical help with challenges such as teaching children of different ages, teaching the fine arts, and how to teach children with different learning styles.
- Homeschooling for the Rest of Us: How Your One-of-a-Kind Family Can Make Homeschooling and Real Life Work by Sonya Haskins – In this book, parents are reminded that homeschooling families aren’t perfect, and that real-life families, like your own, can educate their children successfully.
- So You’re Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It by Lisa Whelchel – Featuring the stories of fifteen different homeschooling families, this book shows how every family can overcome the unique challenges they face as they work to educate their children. Includes tips on time management, outside responsibilities, teaching weaknesses, and more.
- The Imperfect Homeschooler’s Guide to Homeschooling: A 20-Year Homeschool Veteran Reveals How to Teach Your Kids, Run Your Home and Overcome the Inevitable Challenges of the Homeschooling Life by Barbara Frank – Filled with tips and encouragement, this books offers ideas for making learning more enjoyable, avoiding burnout, and overcoming obstacles in homeschooling.
- Homeschooling at the Speed of Life: Balancing Home, School, and Family in the Real World by Marilyn Rockett – This book and CD combo provides lots of practical tips for the homeschooler trying to bring order back into the home.
- Help for the Harried Homeschooler: A Practical Guide to Balancing Your Child’s Education with the Rest of Your Life by Christine Fields – This book is for homeschooling parents who are overwhelmed by the demands on their time and are looking for a more balanced life.
- Things We Wish We’d Known by Diana and Bill Waring – A must-read for any new homeschooler, this book features advice from fifty families who have been there.
Article by Samantha Bell
Picture by whgrad